Skip to Content

Kirton in Lindsey - 1919 - History

Transcribed from Kelly's 1919 Lincolnshire Directory

Published : 14 December 2018

background

Transcribed from Kelly's 1919 Lincolnshire Directory

KIRTON-IN-LINDSEY is an ancient market town and large parish, on the western side of a commanding eminence, with a station on the main line of the Great Central railway, and is 10 miles east from Gainsborough, 18 north from Lincoln, 7 south-west from Brigg and 154½ from London, in the Brigg division of the county, Corringham wapentake, parts of Lindsey, Glanford Brigg union, Brigg and Scunthorpe county court district, petty sessional division of Gainsborough, rural deanery of Corringham, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln.

Some of the shops and houses are lighted with gas, but not the streets. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient structure of large dimensions, in the Norman, Transitional and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, baptistery (formerly south porch), and a large western tower, of Early English date, with Perpendicular parapet and pinnacles at the angles, containing a clock and 6 bells: in the church is the effigy of a cross-legged knight in chain mail, much dilapidated, with his feet upon a griffin, and the church retains an aumbry, an altar slab and two good piscinæ: the old south doorway, now in the baptistery, is most beautiful Early English, and in fine preservation: the east window was filled with stained glass in 1868, as also are two small lancet windows in the baptistery and four others in the chancel: the font, of stone, with small marble columns, is a memorial to the Rev. Robert Ousby, 32 years curate of the parish: the church was restored about 1860, under the direction of Mr. J. H. Hakewill, of London, when the tower was opened to the nave, a new chancel arch built, the roof enriched with hammer beams and carved ribs, and the interior reseated with open benches: the restoration of the chancel, undertaken by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, was superintended by their architect, the late Mr. Ewan Christian; the lancet windows were renewed, the Norman priests' door renovated, an arcaded stone reredos erected, and the interior refitted with carved oak stalls: on the reopening of the tower arch a double arch was discovered, which is a rare and picturesque feature: there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1585, but is very imperfect: there are churchwardens' accounts from 1484. The living is a discharged vicarage, net yearly value £280, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1911 by the Rev. Herbert Richard Garvey M.A. of Emmanuel College; Cambridge. The Baptist chapel, built in 1663, was rebuilt in 1841 and restored in 1899, and will seat 300 persons; the Wesleyan chapel, built in 1840, has been enlarged; the Primitive Methodist chapel was rebuilt in 1862; another Primitive Methodist chapel in this parish is used by the villagers of Grayingham.

Too many words, skip to the end.


There is a Subscription Reading Room with a library of about 1,050 volumes and a billiard room. The spring markets commence on the Saturday before Palm Sunday for cattle and continue for five alternate Saturdays; the winter markets commence on the Saturday before the 11th of October and continue for five alternate Saturdays. Two Cattle fairs for stock are held on the Green on July 18th and December 11th. The Diamond Jubilee Town Hall, which occupies a prominent position in the Market place, is a large oblong structure of blue lias and York stone, the greater portion of the material used, including the roof, having formed part of the old sessions hall of the House of Correction; the foundation stone was laid by Emerson Muscham Bainbridge Esq. M.P. on 16th June, 1898, and the north-east corner stone by the Yarborough Freemasons. The cost, including the site, was about £1,600. The hall, 66 feet in length by 30 feet in breadth, is used for concerts and entertainments, and will seat about 400 persons. The management is entrusted to a committee consisting of the eight guarantors and four townsmen, the latter being elected yearly. Near the railway station is a tunnel 1,100 yards in length, passing under the hill called "The Cliff." There are limekilns, brick and tile yards, a small iron foundry and steam and wind mills. The manor and soke of Kirton was formerly part of the Duchy of Cornwall, but was sold to the late John Julius Angerstein Esq. in 1799. The funds of the dissolved Grammar school, endowed by decree of the Court of Exchequer in the year 1517, are now, under the provisions of a new scheme framed by the Charity Commissioners, in 1879, controlled by a body of 10 governors, three of whom are appointed by the County Council, two by the Gainsborough magistrates and two by the Rural District Council; these seven are representative governors for three years. and appoint three other governors for five years; two fellowships, each worth £60 per year, with rooms and commons, at Magdalene College, Cambridge, and 7 scholarships, worth £22 10s. founded by Sir Christopher and Lady Wray, about 1596, were never awarded, and cannot now be traced: the endowment of about £84 is now appropriated to the foundation of one exhibition of the yearly value not exceeding £20, tenable for four years. Boys or girls may be presented as candidates who are attending any public elementary schools in the parish of Kirton-in-Lindsey, or in Blyborough, Grayingham, Hibaldstow, Manton, Messingham, Northorpe, Redbourne, Scotter, Scotton and Waddingham, preference being given in cases of nearly equal merit to Kirton-in-Lindsey. The charities include Torksey's, consisting of the town yard, left by Richard Torksey in 1679, and the Poor's Close, allotted at the Inclosure in 1803, total value about £10 yearly; another Poor's Close, value about £5 10s. administered by the Parish Council; Hawcroft Close, left by Mary Turner in 1741, value £5 10s.; Jane Wright's, for six lame or blind women, being spinsters or widows, yearly value 18s. and Darwin's, which provides four gowns every fourth year. A survey of the manor and soke of Kirton, extending over about 40 parishes, was made in 1616, the original of which still exists in the office of the Duchy of Cornwall; a contemporary copy is to be found among the "Moore" manuscripts in the public library of Cambridge. Sir Hickman Beckett Bacon Bart. is lord of the manor. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, the Duchy of Cornwall and George Clarke Esq. of Sheffield, are the principal landowners. The area is 4,690 acres; rateable value, £12,260; population in 1911, 1,602.

Church of St. Andrew

Church of St. Andrew


Parish Clerk, W. Whitworth.
Sexton, Frederick Chafer.


Post, M.O. & T. Office

(Letters should be addressed Kirton-in-Lindsey, Lincs.).-Mrs. Charlotte Sarson, postmistress
Town Sub-Post & M.O. Office, Torksey Street.-Samuel Hemshall, sub-postmaster. Kirton-in-Lindsey is the nearest telegraph office
Wall Letter Boxes.-Spa hill; Station road & Traingate


PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS

County Police Station, John T. Bullimore, sergeant
Town Hall, Market place


PUBLIC OFFICERS.

Collector of Poor Rates & Assistant Overseer, Francis F. Keyworth
Collector of Quit & Corn Rents, Reg. J. Broadgate
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Kirton District, Glanford Brigg Union & Blyborough District, Gainsborough Union & Certifying Factory Surgeon, John Ernest Sharpley M.R.C.S.Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. The Grove
Town Crier, William Tuttey
Veterinary Inspector under the "Diseases of Animals Acts" to the Lindsey County Council & to the Board of Agriculture, William C. Wilkinson M.R.C.V.S


PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of Services.

Parish Church, Rev. Herbert Richard Garvey M.A. vicar; 8 & 10.45 a.m. & 2.30 & 6.30 p.m.; matins, daily & Thurs. 7.15 p.m. & Saints' days, 10.45 a.m. & 4.15 p.m.
Baptist, Rev. Frank H. Cunliffe A.T.S.; 2 & 6 p.m.; Wed. 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist (Scotter Circuit), Rev. Herbert W. Snaith (supt.); 2 & 6 p.m.; Mon. 7 p.m.
Wesleyan Methodist (Brigg & Scunthorpe Circuit), Rev. George Herbert Riggall; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thurs. 7 p.m.


PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS.

The Schools are controlled by 6 managers, 2 appointed by Parish Council & 4 by County Council, Francis F. Keyworth, correspondent
The Green (boys) (formerly Grammar school), for 130 children; Horace Catlin, head master
Girls, for 140 children; average attendance, 93; Miss Mary L. Jackson. mistress
Infants, near the church, built in 1895-6, for 156 children; Mrs. John Picksley, mistress


RAILWAY STATION.

Walter Richardson, station master




CONVEYANCE.

An omnibus from the George hotel, Market place, to the railway station meets each train on the Great Central railway


CARRIERS.

F.Walster, to Gainsborough, Tues. & Fri.;
A.Triffit, Mon. & Thurs. to Brigg; Tues. & Fri. to Gainsborough;
Jacklin, Mon. & Fri. to Redbourne & Waddingham; from Waddingham to Gainsborough, on Tues.; Brigg on Thurs. & Sat. & Caistor on Sat.


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

  • Atkin James John C
  • Bellwood Mrs. Mount Pleasant
  • Birkett Frank, Holly house
  • Birkett John Nicholson,North Cliff house
  • Brears Charles, Carlton villa
  • Broadgate Reginald Joe
  • Cross Edward. Chas. Beckingham house
  • Cross Mrs. Lime house
  • Cunliffe Rev. Frank H., A. T .S (Baptist), The Manse
  • Duckering Arthur. Rd. J.P. The Priory
  • Duckering Edward Elmhirst, sen. Lindsey house
  • Duckering Edward Elmhirst, jun. Station road
  • Duckering Frederick, The Poplars
  • Duckering Mrs. The Laurels
  • Fox. Chas. Hy. Brentwood, Station road
  • Frow William, Laburnham villa
  • Garvey Rev. Herbert Richard M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
  • George Charles Frederick, Belle Vue
  • Glover Misses, Carlton villa
  • Harris Miss West .view
  • Hemshall Rev. John Henry (Primitive Methodist), Ivy Dene
  • Hesseltine Mrs. Dunstan house
  • Holdsworth Mrs. Station road
  • Howlett England
  • Marshall Mrs. Fair view, Moat road
  • Moorhouse Joseph
  • Parry John, Dunstan villa
  • Parry Mrs. Prospect house
  • Peacock Miss, Wickentree house
  • Rawson Charles Hessle villa
  • Riggall Rev. Geo. Herbt. (Wesleyan), Station road
  • Sapcote Mrs. Station road
  • Sarson Hiram March street
  • Sarson Joseph
  • Sharpley John Ernest, The Grove
  • Summers Mrs. Spa hill
  • Tong Mrs. The Moated house
  • Vipond Miss, Queen street

The Market place

The Market place


COMMERCIAL.

  • Early closing day, Wednesday.
  • Marked thus † farm 150 acres or over.
  • Allison Arthur, general dealer, High street
  • Allison Joseph, bricklayer, Spa hill
  • †Anderson Herbert K. farmer, Ings farm
  • †Anderson Robt. farmer, The Grange
  • Backhouse John A. Red Lion P.H.; dealers' license for small casks of ale, 6, 9 & 18 gallons; prompt delivery
  • Barker Charles, farmer
  • Barker Jsph. Jackson, boot dealer, High street
  • Bee John William, farmer, Low farm
  • †Bellwood Walter ( exors. of), farmers, Mount Pleasant
  • Benson Henry Otter, Unicorn inn
  • Bianchi Jane (Mrs.), boot dealer.High. street
  • Birkett Frank, coal merchant
  • Birkitt William, news agent
  • Boon Nathaniel, chemist, Market place
  • Booth William, farmer
  • Brears Charles, builder & contractor
  • Broadgate Reg.J. auctioneer & valuer, crop reporter & collector of quit & corn rents to Board of Agriculture, Spa Hill house
  • Broughton Sophia (Mrs.) & Sons, farmers, Redbourne road
  • Broughton Joseph Kitchingman, cabinet maker, High street
  • Broughton William, cattle dealer, King Edward street
  • Brown George, tailor, Torksey street
  • Buck George, beer retailer, Wesley street
  • Carter John, confectioner, Market place
  • Caudall George Pettenger, saddler & harness maker, Market place
  • Caustic Lime & Macadam Co. Ltd. lime burners
  • Clark Emma (Mrs.), drug stores, High street
  • Clarke Robert, tinplate worker
  • Cleaver Cecil Wm. confr. Traingate
  • Contract & Works Supply Co. Portland cement, lime, limestone slag, tar-macadam &c. manufacturers, Redbourne hall
  • Cross & Richardson, steam thrashing machine owners
  • Drury Geo. greengrocer, Market place
  • Duckering Frederick & Son, coal merchants, Railway station
  • Duckering Arthur Richard, maltster
  • Duckering Edward Elmhirst, sen. wine & spirit merchant
  • Eato Fredk. Chas. butcher. Wesley street
  • Ellis Thomas, market gardener
  • Ellis Wm. baker & grocer, High street
  • †Everett H.B. & W.A. farmers, Lowfield farm & Grayingham road
  • Eyre George, farmer
  • Frow Arthur Smith, farmer
  • Garbutt Thomas Fox, chimney sweep, North Cliff road
  • Gilliatt Elsie A. (Miss), dress maker, Market place
  • Gleadell William & Sons, maltsters
  • Glover Joseph, tobacconist, High street
  • Grant Alfred, farmer
  • Griffin Mary (Mrs.), confectioner
  • Hall Wm. H. cycle agt. King Edward street
  • Hames John Henry, grocer, March street
  • †Hardy Robert E. farmer
  • Harrison Herbert Hewson, butcher, March street
  • Hemshall Samuel, grocer, & post office, Torksey street
  • Herrick Emily (Mrs.), confr. Market place
  • Hill Thomas, butcher, Market place
  • Holdsworth Frederick, farmer
  • Holdsworth Jn. D. farmer, Sweethills
  • Holmes Chas. shopkeeper, Traingate
  • Hormer William, shopkeeper, High street
  • Howlett B. & Son, solicitors & commissioners for oaths
  • Howlett England, solctr. & commissioner for oaths, see Howlett B. & Son
  • Hunt Frank, farmer
  • Hunt William, china & earthenware dealer, March street
  • Jarvis George, farmer, The Elms
  • Jarvis Walt. fried fish dealer. Market place
  • Jordan Sarah Ann (Mrs.), nurse, Wray street
  • Jordon Elizabeth (Miss), dress maker, King Edward street
  • Keyworth Francis Frow, rope & twine maker, correspondent to Council school, clerk Parish Council, collector of poor rates & asst. overseer
  • Kirton Lindsey Gas Co
  • Lawman Joseph, carter, Moat road
  • Leaning Thomas, First & Last P.H. Station road
  • Lee Rt. Westfield,coal dealer.Railway station
  • London City & Midland Bank Limited (branch) (John S. Baker, manager), Market place; open on Wed. 12 to 3; draw on head office, 5 Threadneedle street, London EC2
  • Maddison Mary Jane (Mrs.), apartments, Wray street
  • Major William, carter, Market place
  • Mann William, aparts. Torksey street
  • Marris Brothers & Beverley, iron & brass founders & agricultural implement manufacturers
  • Marris Elsie (Miss), dress maker
  • Maw John, boot maker, March street
  • May Alice (Mrs.), pork butcher, Market place
  • Moore Laura M. (Mrs.), draper, High street
  • Nicholson & Birkett Ltd. corn millers (steam), Britannia flour mills
  • Peck George William, farmer
  • Peck Henry, farmer
  • Peck Louisa (Miss), dress maker Queen street
  • Peck Robert, farmer
  • Petch Charlotte (Mrs.), shopkeeper, George street
  • Petch George Wilson, joiner
  • Picksley Eliza (Miss), shopkeeper, Wesley street
  • Picksley Ingham, builder
  • Pinder Samuel, George family & commercial hotel; good accommodation for commercial gentlemen; billiards & good stabling; motor car & garage; horse & trap for hire
  • Poole Richd. tinplate worker, Market place
  • Rands David, mole catcher, East Cross street
  • Rawson Joseph, steam threshing machine owner
  • Redhead Benjamin, Queen's Head P.H
  • Richardson Alfred, steam threshing machine owner, see Cross & Richardson
  • Roberts Charles, shopkeeper, Ings road
  • Roberts Jsph. farmr. Gainsborough road
  • Roberts Tom, farmer, Ings road
  • †Robinson Frank Bertram, farmer, Park farm
  • Rowson John Hy. boot maker High street
  • Russell Tom Fowler, boot maker High street
  • Scott David, cowkeeper
  • Scott Moses, draper, March street
  • Sharpley John Ernest M.R.C.S. Eng. L.R.C.P.Lond. physician & surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, Kirton Lindsey district, Glanford Brigg union & to Blyborough district, Gainsborough union & certifying factory surgeon, The Grove
  • Sheehan James, boot repr. High street
  • Silverwood A. sec. to the Subscription Reading Room & Library, Willow house
  • Sims Jas. Arthur, plumber, Market place
  • Skelton James, jobbing gardener
  • Skinner Thomas, butcher, High street
  • Smith Matthew Hy. stationer, High street
  • Smith Pethuel, watch maker, High street
  • Snell Charles, miller (wind)
  • Stowe Charles, farmer, The Cliffe
  • Strickland Frank Norwood, farmer
  • Subscription Reading Room & Library (A. Silverwood, sec.; John Thomas Baker, librarian)
  • Summers John Percy, family grocer, provision merchant & italian warehouseman, Market place
  • Taylor William, beer retailer. Grove street
  • Tinker E. (Miss), confectioner, Market place
  • Town Hall (Edward E. Duckering, sen. chairman)
  • Tuttey Wm. town crier & bill poster
  • Vessey Herbt. hair drssr. Market place
  • Walster Fdk.frmr.& carrier, Torksey street
  • Watson Charles L. shoeing & general smith, Cliff shoeing forge
  • White Sl.Ernest, cabinet maker Queen street
  • White Walter Edwin, grocer, High street
  • Whitworth Wm. joiner, Traingate
  • Wilson Robt. beer retailer, Church street

TL;DR - Conclusion.


George V was the king and David Lloyd George was the Prime Minister. Britain was at war with Ireland and Afghanistan, the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic was still in the process of killing more people than had died as a result of the recently ended World war. Also in 1919, the army used tanks to quell riots in Scotland, Alcock and Brown flew non-stop across the Atlantic, Canadian troops waiting to go home started rioting and the R34 airship made the first east/west crossing of the Atlantic by an airship.
Winterton Fowler Gainsborough 1836 Nineteenth Century Justice





Feel free to 'LIKE' , 'SHARE' , 'TWEET' , 'FOLLOW' or 'COMMENT' if you enjoyed reading this. Also the carousel below has all kinds of other stuff you may enjoy looking at.