Skip to Content

Kirton in Lindsey - 1826 - History

Transcribed from White's 1826, The History and Directory of The Towns and Principal Villages in the County of Lincoln including the port of Kingston upon Hull etc.

Published : 24 October 2018

background

Transcribed from White's 1826, The History and Directory of The Towns and Principal Villages in the County of Lincoln including the port of Kingston upon Hull etc.

A market town and parish, in the hundred of Corringham and division of Lindsay, delightfully situated near the summit, and on the western side of a commanding eminence, about 10 miles North East of Gainsborough, 18 miles North of Lincoln, and 147 miles North of London, containing 330 houses and 1480 inhabitants.

Too many words, skip to the end.


The manor of this place anciently formed part of the possessions of the Earls of Cornwall: Robert Moridon, the first Earl and half brother to William the Conquerer, received a grant of it shortly after the Norman Conquest. Edward the Second afterwards granted it to his niece Margaret, the widow of Piers Gaveston, upon her marriage with Hugh Audbey the younger. The Third Edward transferred the manor to William, Earl of Huntingdon, after whose death it became the property of Edward, the Black Prince, who assigned one-third part of it to Elizabeth, the widow of the late Earl, and the remainder to the Earl of Chandos. Subsequently it became attached to the Dukedom of Cornwall, to which it at present belongs. The Hon. John Reginald Lygon Pinder holds the manorial estates by lease, from the Chancellor of the Duchy of Cornwall.

(I've omitted the description of the church because it describes the church of Sts.Peter & Paul at Kirton in Holland. A common error in early directories, where copying large tracts of text from the competition was simply normal practice and not viewed as plagiarism.)

George IV shilling, which interestingly enough was made long before the invention of the gas meter to put it in.

George IV shilling, which interestingly enough was made long before the invention of the gas meter to put it in.

The Quarter Sessions for the Division of Lindsay, are held here on the second whole week after Epiphany and Easter; on the first Friday after the 7th of July; and on Friday of the first week after the 11th of October.

The Bridewell, or House of Correction, is a large stone building, consisting of a centre and two wings; the Sessions-Court is in the centre of the building, and is used also as a chapel for the prisoners, over which is the Grand Jury room: on the west are the apartments of the gaoler. The south wing is appropriated to the male, and the north wing to the female prisoners.

On Kirton Green stands the Duchy Court House, a handsome brick building, where the manorial courts are held, and where the records are kept - near to which is a Grammar School, now conducted on the national system, the endowment is about £70 per annum; at present there are 80 children in this school, and upwards of 100 Sunday scholars attend the Parish Church.



Here is a weekly market on a Saturday, and two annual fairs, for the sale of cattle and pedlary, on the 18th of July and 11th of December.

DIRECTORY.

POST MASTER,
Robert Atkinson, 'Crown Inn,' Market Place: Letters despatched 3, afternoon, arrive 5, afternoon, daily.
MISCELLANY - Consisting of the Names of the Inhabitants not arranged in the Trades' List.

  • Akes Mr. Thomas
  • Akes Mr. George
  • Binns Matthias, attorney's clerk
  • Blow John, Governor of the workhouse
  • Briarley Mrs. Mary, Market place
  • Briarley Mr. Thomas E. Market place
  • Cuthbert Mrs. Elizabeth
  • Dunn Mrs. Mary
  • Foster George, Esq. Coroner
  • Fox John, Esq.
  • Guy William, lime burner
  • Howlett Joseph, attorney's clerk
  • Johnson Mr. John
  • Kennington Robert, painter
  • Lee John, keeper of the house of correction
  • Nicholson Francis, machine maker
  • Parkin George, overseer and constable
  • Petch Ann, straw hat maker
  • Richter Rev. H.W. chaplain of the Bridewell
  • Sherlock John, whitesmith
  • Short Mr. Thomas
  • Stamp Mr. Richard
  • Thorpe Mrs. Elizabeth
  • Thorpe Geo. agent to the County Fire & Provident Life Office, and distributor of stamps
  • Wilkinson Thos. blacksmith, Market place
  • Williamson Mr. Robert
  • Winley John, leather breeches maker, Market place

ACADEMIES.

  • Caistor Wm. (national)
  • Colley Sarah, (day)
  • Ousby Rev. Robert, B.A. (boarding)
  • Richter Rev. H.W. (boarding)
  • Slater Mary, (boarding & day)

INNS & TAVERNS.
Marked * are in Market place.

  • *Black Swan Inn, J. Travis
  • *Crown Inn, Robert Atkinson
  • Gate, John Frow
  • *George Inn, Ann Briarley
  • *Lord Nelson, Hy. Stainton
  • Red Lion, John Fox
  • Unicorn, George Watkinson

The Lord Nelson stood on the site where the Town Hall stands today, with the George Hotel on the right.

The Lord Nelson stood on the site where the Town Hall stands today, with the George Hotel on the right.

LIST OF INHABITANTS - Arranged according to their Professions and Trades.

ATTORNEYS.

  • *Nicholson Thomas
  • Thorpe George

BAKERS & FLOUR DEALERS.

  • Dowlman Eliz. (and miller)
  • Pindar Rebecca
  • Pindar Sarah

BLACKSMITHS.

  • Clixby William
  • Keay William E.
  • Powell James
  • *Scarcliff Mary

BOOT AND SHOE MAKERS.

  • Atkinson William
  • Dowlman John
  • Eaby William
  • Harrison William
  • North William
  • *Penn Thomas
  • Smith John

BRICKLAYERS. & BUILDERS.

  • Hollingworth John
  • Petch George
  • Petch Thomas
  • Rowley James

BRICKMAKERS.

  • Cockrill Richard
  • Parkinson Joseph

BUTCHERS.

  • Cooper George
  • *Cooper William
  • *Hutchinson John
  • Moss John
  • Otter Robert
  • Serjeant George
  • Wilson George

CORN MILLERS.

  • Brown John
  • Pindar William
  • Stainton Edward

FARMERS.

  • Allen Robert
  • Atkinson Joseph
  • Cook Joseph
  • Curtois Thomas
  • Fox John
  • Hunsley John
  • Scarborough John
  • Serjeant William
  • Skinner William
  • Smith William
  • Travis Joseph
  • Travis Thomas

HAIR DRESSERS.

  • Everington Joseph
  • *Smith Thomas, (& toy dealer)

IRONMONGERS, & HARDWAREMEN.

  • Lee Samuel
  • *Turner Joseph

JOINERS, &c.

  • Colley John
  • Hutchinson John
  • Marris John B.

LINEN & WOOLEN DRAPERS and GROCERS.
*** See also Tailors and Drapers.

  • Fowler & Son, North green
  • Lee & Borman
  • *Moss Thomas
  • Peele Chas. Richard

MALTSTERS.

  • Hill Samuel
  • Petch John
  • Watson George

MILLINERS AND DRESSMAKERS.

  • Dodds Rebecca
  • Fox Jane
  • Rands Mary
  • *Scarcliff Eleanor
  • *Smith Elizabeth

PLUMBERS AND GLAZIERS.

  • Fairweather Wm.
  • Stothard John

ROPE MAKERS.

  • Bland Richard
  • Cockrill Richard

SADDLERS.

  • Rowley Langley
  • *Spring Redshaw

SURGEONS.

  • Foster & Palmer
  • Fox George
  • *Hind George

TAILORS.
Those marked thus † are Linen & Woollen Drapers also.

  • Barkworth George
  • Coachefer John
  • *†Garbut Wm. (and hatter)
  • *†Kennington Chpr. (and hatter)
  • Scott William
  • Smith William

TALLOW CHANDLERS.

  • *Moss Thomas
  • *Peele Chas. Richard

WATCH & CLOCK MAKERS.

  • Dodds Joseph
  • White John

WHEELWRIGHTS.

  • Dowlman William
  • North John
  • Walker William

CARRIERS.

  • Brigg, Thomas North and Thos. Woodall, Thursday, 8, morning, ret. 7, evening.
  • Brigg, Crown, Thos. Taylor, at 5 morning, ret. 5 evening.
  • Gainsborough, Thos. North and Thomas Woodall, Saturday, 5, morning, ret. 7, evening.
  • Gainsborough, Crown, Thomas Taylor, Saturday, ar. 5, morning, ret. 5, evening.
  • Hull & Brigg, Thomas Hall and Joseph Wattam, Monday, return Tuesday, according to tide.
  • Lincoln, Joseph Wattam, at half-past 2 morning, returns 8 evening.

1968 Commemorative stamp with the 1826 Menai Bridge.

1968 Commemorative stamp with the 1826 Menai Bridge.

TL;DR - Conclusion.


In a wider, historical context, George IV was King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and King of Hanover. MDCCCXXVI or 1826 was 23 years before the railway arrived in Kirton Lindsey, but also the year the first railway tunnel was built en route between Liverpool and Manchester. The same year the Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway started operating in Scotland. In Wales the Menai Suspension Bridge opened for traffic as did the Conwy Suspension Bridge. Britain won the first of three wars against Burma and Scottish explorer Alexander Laing became the first European to reach Timbuktu, and then went on to be the first Scotsman murdered in Timbuktu. Things were happening in the world and not necessarily for the better, all in all it was just like today only 200 years earlier.

 

Click here for a selection of 19th century crimes involving Kirton Lindsey in some way.

 

Click here for the Kirton in Lindsey entry from the 1828-9 edition of Pigot and Co.'s National Commercial Directory.

 

Click here for the extinction and revival of the Lincolnshire bagpipe and the tale of John Hunsley of Manton.





Feel free to 'LIKE' , 'SHARE' , 'TWEET' , 'FOLLOW' or 'COMMENT' if you enjoyed reading this. Also the carousel below has all kinds of other stuff you may enjoy looking at.

Served by Raspberry Pi #2